Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Day 16







Hello all,

This is weird because I JUST wrote the day 15 post haha- we finally got to an internet cafe. It's 1.50 euro for 30 mins which isn't TOO bad... It's about 2.25 in dollars.

Today has been exhausting. It's raining so I think everybody is feeling sluggish because of that, plus people were out later last night after a long day of traveling. This morning we watched some films about the Medici family. They pretty much made Florence what it was/is. There are 4 films in all, each about one hour and we're on our third one. They aren't too bad, obviously made to be educational but actually quite entertaining.

After watching a film we started out to check out museums. We went to the Medici chapel which had several statues by Michelangelo- did you know that the Medicis discovered Michelangelo and basicaly adopted him as a son. He started working for them at age 11 I believe it was. The chapel was kind of cool. Not ornate like the stuff from Rome but it was cool to be in the same building that the Medici family used to own. It housed a lot of relics from different saints too.

We also went to the Academia and saw Michelangelo's David. That was amazing. It is SO tall and you walk down this long corridor which is lined with uncompleted works by Michelangelo (I snuck a few pictures- until I got yelled at). It was kind of funny though, we've always gotten away with sneaking photos as long as we didn't use flash but they were yelling like mad whenever someone took a photo. It was kind of funny.

We also went to the place where the Monk Savonnrolla lived and prayed. He is pretty historical, he was against anything secular and plotted against the Medici family because they supported the arts. He caused a lot of turmoil in Florence actually.

Then we had lunch and ate a couple of pastries (YUM) and now we're taking a break. We thought about going to the market or one of the leather shops (they have AMAZING leather here) but nobody really wanted to go, everybody is so tired and the rain is really ruining the mood around here. A lot of people are napping now or at least relaxing. I'll probably stay in tonight and relax, maybe make a couple of calls.

That is it for now. We are planning on going to a museum about the Duomo this afternoon and I wouldn't be surprised if we finished the last Medici film.

Tomorrow is laundry day and the Uffizi museum. Laundry day means we are 2/3 of the way done with the trip. How crazy is that? 9 days left as of today.

That's it for now. Hopefully I'll get online again in a couple of days... I am kind of addicted to the internet I've come to realize. It really bothers me that I can't just run downstairs and use it whenever I want like we could at the last hotel. I'm such an American.

I hope everybody is enjoying the cold snap I heard is happening in MN, or at least supposed to happen. It's chilly here but not really cold.

I love you all,
Ash




P.S. Now that I'm at my own computer I'm able to put pictures on... That is me eating "the world's best gelato" in Rome! I'm throwing a coin into the Trevi fountain, and I'm standing inside the Colloseum.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Finally PICTURES!!! I liked this post the most. "That is me eating "the world's best gelato" in Rome!" HELLO, it looks like Ice Cream! Didn't you have that before and really liked it? Looks yummy! Oh, crap, that sounds so Gay! Looks GREAT, Honey!

Pic 2 throwing the coin in the Fountain, I hope you made an important wish. Ummm, something like I wish my Dad grows hair, or something like that.

Thanks for the Pictures Ashley, helps me understand more. Though, I have seen this stuff in books and TV, it makes a difference in understanding what you are seeing. Truly Fantastic!

Now let's talk about me!

I am still single, I am still not dating, Oh, yeah, I am still a Ex Smoker!!! Yippee Dad! I have managed to lose 4 pounds since Christmas. It has been a struggle, but I do NOT want to balloon up while trying to get healthy. The doctor took blood and is checking my A1C. (Blood Sugar Test) I don't think that will be pretty!! I will find out this Thursday!

It is still Sunny in Arizona High 60’s Low 70’s great for this time of year!

(Kelly, I love Arizona!!!) She thinks, I actually hate AZ and am covering it up by my positive affirmations. Whatever!

Well, hope to read more soon. Take care and be safe, Ashley! Love you. DD

Kelly said...

I LOVE the pictures!!!! That is awesome!!! I'm glad you explained the one with you throwing the coin in the fountain, because I was confused... I want Gelato!!

Did you wish for me to have a healthy baby girl so you can win the bet with Scott??

I love that you are sneaking pictures!!! That is hilarious!! Don't get in too much trouble, it will be harder to bail you out of jail from here.

Can't wait to see more pics and hear how the next few days turn out!!

It's like below zero and if you stand in one place for more than 5 seconds you freeze to the ground!! I love MN!!! Dad is jealous!

Love You Favoritest Sister!!

Ashley said...

I did make a wish, but I read that apparently by throwing a coin in a fountain you are supposed to be able to return to Rome someday...

Glad you guys enjoyed the pics! I'll try to get more on if I get the chance.