Hello all! Today we got to Florence. We took a train straight here from Rome. I’ve decided that I’m not a huge fan of trains. Oh well. When we got here we got into our rooms. We are the only ones at this “tourist house”. It’s neat because we just kind of do whatever we want. We have class in one of the rooms and we have this common area where we keep plastic plates and cups and stuff. We don't get breakfast here like we did in Rome (which was AWESOME... we totally stole extra food and ate it while we were out) so we have to buy groceries and eat them for breakfast. We did switch roommates too, it’s one person from each of our old rooms in our new rooms. It's nice to get to know new people, I think it's part of the learning experience and it will make our trip better and hopefully less cliquey.
After we got settled in we went and checked out the Duomo which happens to be RIGHT outside our door (unfortunately though we don’t have a neat view of it outside our window, but at least it’s a short walk.) It is HUGE but unlike the churches in Rome it is very plain inside- very gothic. Rome has more Baroque churches so they are extremely ornate… it’s strange to be in an area where the work is gothic so it’s huge and more ornate on the outside but inside it’s very plain. We haven’t climbed up into the dome yet though, I hope that we will. There is a tower to climb too.
After that we tried to go to a museum but it was closed- we’ll go tomorrow. Instead we checked out some shops. There is a market tomorrow though so we are going to check that out if we can.
Tonight we went out to a bar which seemed to be filled with American students. This whole city is filled with American students actually. It’s interesting too because the city feels big but really it’s not and we have yet to really use a map like we had to in Rome. It’s kind of nice. I like Florence so far.
I hope all is well in the states- I miss you all! Exactly 10 days left until I return!
Much love,
Ash
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I am so confused. I must have missed this one yesterday. Then I realized you wrote both days with in minutes! Can you say DAAAAHHH.
What happened, that you don't like trains. Other then they are noisy and rocky? DD
Wow!! How long are you in Florence? I forget. I think it's good you trade up roomies, it is better to avoid clickiness and get to know more people. Bummer about the food situation! Hopefully you like the food there. What is the grocery store like??
Post a Comment