Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Day 9

Laundry day!!!!

haha yes, we did laundry this afternoon. It was super expensive (7 euros total to wash and dry... which is around 10 bucks...) but at least we have clean clothes again. It's kind of nice :)

This morning we had another early day. We went to the Borghese Museum. It's a mansion that was owned by a cardinal I believe, and then he sold it to the city of Rome and state of Italy. It was already a museum at the time and all of the art work came with the place. Apparently it used to be used by the Pope to show to ambassadors and stuff. It was filled with cool art. My favorite were the sculptures created by Bernini. They had his version of David and several others based on mythology. They were so beautiful. I bought post cards of each of them to show everyone when I get back. The detail was amazing, they would have two figures holding each other and you could actually see where the hand of one imprinted on the skin of the other.

After that we decided to go to the Spanish steps while we were out and in the area. They weren't as exciting and cool as I thought they would be but we did see a pick pocketer in action! We were standing above the steps looking down and saw this suspicious woman. We watched her for a while and suddenly she motioned to a group standing near her and they all ran up to this man with his family. One tried to take his watch, one tried to grab into his pocket, others were trying to "beg for money". Luckily the man reacted really quickly and they didn't get anything from him. It was crazy though...

Then we decided to head back to our hotel- we got our clothes together and did our laundry. Now everybody is napping once again. There must be something wrong with me, I don't nap like everyone else apparently does. I would much rather be out exploring the city... oh well.

Last night we ended up going to another pub called Trinity College. I'm not sure what's going on tonight but unless it's something cool like the Ice bar thing I think I'll stay back... it's not really my scene. Then tomorrow we have a midterm at 7PM. We're all kind of nervous. The material seems straight forward but we just learned about a third to a half of a semester's worth of material in 5 days. It should be interesting to see what the midterm is like. Everyone who has taken this class before said it's a pretty tough one.

Anyways, I guess I'll get going. I hope all is well!
I love you all!
Ash

5 comments:

DisCo said...

SO LUCKY GIRL!

Unknown said...

The Sun is finally out here after two days of Rain! Thank God! Sounds very expensive for laundry! How many loads is that? When to you leave Rome and where do you go next?

Kristin and Peter said...

It sounds like you are having an amazing time! I enjoy reading your blog to hear about your adventures. I'm glad you'd rather explore the city than take a nap...you don't want your biggest Italy memory to be napping everyday!
Kristin, Peter, and Sam

Ashley said...

It is very expensive for laundry- that was just one load... we leave Rome on Monday and head to Florence although the day after tomorrow we are going to Pompeii (Thursday) for a day trip.

Glad to hear people are reading my posts!!! I miss you all!

Kelly said...

Scooter!!! You are having so much fun!!! I'm so excited for you. I wish I could be there. The pick pockets freak me out though... good thing you planned well for that!

Keep writing!! I'm back at school, so I don't always get to log in and read them each day - so I kind of have to 'catch up' here and there. But I love reading them!

Love You!